- 1997 PhD in Theoretical Physics, University of Cologne, Germany
- 1998 - 1999 PostDoc in Mathematical Physics (Joel Lebowitz), Rutgers University
- 1999 - 2003 PostDoc, Center for Studies in Physics and Biology (Eric Siggia), The Rockefeller University
- 2003 - 2006 Assistant Professor for Biology and Mathematics, Department of Biology, New York University
- since 2006 Full Professor for Systems Biology, Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine and Charite, Berlin, Germany
- since 2008 Scientific Head of the "Berlin Institute for Medical Systems Biology"
- since 2012 Scientific Advisory Board Member of the "Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin"
- since 2008 for several years Global Distinguished Professor of Biology, New York University
- 2008 IUBMB Medal for Outstanding Contributions to Biochemistry
- 2008 Anniversary Price of the German Society for Biochemistry, awarded by FEBS
- 2009 Science Award of the Governing Mayor of Berlin
- since 2010 Adjunct Professor at the Faculty of Natural Sciences, Humboldt University, Berlin
- since 2010 Elected Member of EMBO
- 2012 Leibniz Prize of the DFG (German Research Foundation)
- 2014 Honorary PhD in Human Biology and Medical Genetics by Sapienza University of Rome